YOU Can Change the World With Food!
"I get more from CFI than I give. I love being around the folks who work there and feeling a sense of teamwork, caring and also having fun. When I go home from whatever the event, I always just feel better and more hopeful." - Linda, CFI volunteer
Every year, volunteers log over 3,000 hours with CFI, which translates to $89,850 donated to CFI's mission. As a volunteer, you'll have a chance to:
- Tend garden plots, feeding families & strengthening ecosystems.
- Participate in a Board discussion that shapes the future of CFI.
- Purchase produce from local farmers, growing a food system that's good for all of us, including the people working to nourish our community.
- Share food and recipes with Veggie Van customers, cultivating community and kitchen confidence.
- Teach a School Gardens lesson, inspiring future gardeners to love nature and food.
Ready to help us change the world with food? Contact us today to learn more, or you can also check out our calendar of events to see volunteer opportunities.
Information and Resources for Volunteers
Current and prospective volunteers can access forms and documents we share during volunteer onboarding HERE.
Incoming and current Board members can access onboarding materials, including the application form, HERE.
Community Food Initiatives offers part-time, unpaid internship opportunities to students and community members who are interested in growing community resilience through the foundation of food. Internships can be paid if the intern is a student eligible for federal work study through Ohio University. Internships can also be completed for class credit.
Fall, Winter and Spring applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. We recommend you apply at least one month in advance of your desired internship period.
Please see click on the position description below for application instructions and to learn more.
Large Volunteer Groups
Are you looking for a volunteer opportunity for a large group? We have periodic projects that are a good opportunity for many people to help for one or two hours, such as laying mulch, large-scale Community Garden upkeep, or harvesting.
Volunteer groups that fit the following criteria work best:
- Time of Year: Spring to Late Fall (April - October)
- Maximum # of hours: 2
- Maximum # of volunteers: 15
- Minimum amount of time to plan event: one month
Reach out to start a conversation!