On Saturday November 10th Susie Krutsch, Culinary Program Manager at Hocking College, led a workshop in the AceNet kitchen to teach us creative ways to make rolls for this upcoming holiday season!
Susie provided recipes for potato rolls and sweet potato biscuits and split the participants into groups. Each group worked together to mix, knead, and bake until we had transformed our friendly Athens Farmers Market potatoes into beautiful orange biscuits and fluffy rolls. See recipes below!
|Warm potato water||1 cup|
|Dry active yeast||2 1/2 tsp.|
|Plain, unseasoned mashed potato||1 cup (6 oz by weight)|
|Bread flour||4 1/2 cups|
- Mix the warm water, yeast, sugar, butter and potato in a mixer bowl with a whisk. Add the eggs. Attach the dough hook and add in the bread flour. Knead to create an elastic dough. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Shape into rolls about 2 oz. each and place 1 cm apart on greased sheet pans. Cover with plastic film and let rise 1 hour or until doubled.
- Bake in a regular 400F oven about 25 minutes. Brush with additional melted butter when they come out of the oven.
Sweet Potato Biscuits
Makes 1 dz.
|Sifted flour||2 cups|
|Baking powder||2 tsp.|
|Baking soda||1/2 tsp.|
|Roasted mashed sweet potato||1 cup|
|Heavy cream||1/2- 1/3 cup|
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and butter in a food processor. Process until fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and by hand add the sweet potato and combine. Add just enough cream to make a soft dough. Do not over mix.
- Place on a floured surface and roll out to about 1 inch thick and cut into rounds.
- Place on greased sheet pans and brush with cream. Bake in a preheated 400 oven for about 15 minutes.